PRACTICE TEST 10
Time allowed: 30’
A. PHONETICS, GRAMMAR & VOCABULARY. (20pts)
I. Circle the correct answer (A, B or C) to indicate the word whose underlined part is pronounced differently. (2pts)
1. A. park B. thank C. man D. family
2. A. teach B. chocolate C. architect D. cheap
II. Circle the correct answer (A, B or C) to indicate the odd one out in each of the following questions. (3pts)
1. A. building B. summer C. colour D. tired
2. A. walk B. borrow C. went D. run
3. A. fireman B. doctor C. policeman D. husband
III. Circle the correct answer (A, B or C) to indicate the right answer. (15pts)
1. I rarely have an argument ..... my sister ..... our housework.
A. with - for B. to - about C. with - about D. to - for
2. Which of the following is NOT a type of fuel?
A. electricity B. petrol C. coal D. natural gas
3. How much will you ..... to repair these shoes?
A. cost B. pay C. afford D. charge
4. There’s a problem with the ....., so there’s no hot water.
A. boiling B. boiler C. boil D. boiled
5. The start of the film was okay, but I soon got ..... .
A. excited B. exciting C. boring D. bored
6. While we ..... the theatre, the actors came back on stage.
A. left B. leave C. were leaving D. are leaving
7. When the pizza ....., it was cold.
A. was delivered B. delivering C. to deliver D. delivered
8. Listen! Somebody ..... us.
A. was calling B. is calling C. are calling D. calls
9. The music is very quiet, so I ..... hear it very well.
A. can B. can’t C. could D. couldn’t
10. We’re leaving tomorrow. We’re going away ..... a few days.
A. on B. in C. by D. for
11. We had a lot of snow ..... our skiing holiday started.
A. when B. while C. so D. because
12. ..... this song? You ..... it! You make it hard for me to concentrate.
A. Do you love - always sing C. Are you loving - always sing
B. Are you loving - are always singing D. Do you love - are always singing
13. Jason is the ..... boy in our class.
A. ruder B. rudest C. more rude D. most rude
14. ..... Earth moves around ..... Sun every 24 hours.
A. The - X B. The - the C. X - X D. An - the
15. They would like some milk ..... dinner.
A. in B. for C. at D. of
B. READING. (10pts)
I. Fill in each blank with ONE word only. (5pts)
II. Read the postcard and choose the correct answer by circling A, B, C or D. (5pts)
The dolphin is (0)...one...of the most beloved animals in the world. Dolphins are big and strong. (1)....................... have two stomachs - (2)....................... for storing food and one for digesting it, just as cows do. Dolphins can eat up to 30 pounds of fish in a day. Dolphins are very intelligent. They have large brains and can communicate (3)....................... other dolphins and humans. Dolphins are (4)....................... kind. There are many stories of dolphins coming to the rescue of drowning people. Dolphins are not endangered, but polluted oceans are harming (5)....................... .
1. What is not true about the video game Space?
Every year, on the 1st of November, my mother asks me what I want for Christmas. This year I told her, “I want the new Space video game.” Space was the game of the year. Everyone wanted it. I waited patiently for Christmas to arrive.
On Christmas morning I went straight to the tree to open all my presents. I opened everything but my video game was not there. I was really sad. It was the only thing I wanted.
I tried to put on a brave face and thank my family for all my other great presents, but they knew I was disappointed. I thought I was going to cry. I ran up to my room so no one would see the tears in my eyes. To my surprise, there was a gift sitting on my bed. I tore the wrapping paper off the tiny box. It was Space! I ran back downstairs and hugged my mom. I was the happiest boy in the world.
A. It was the game of the year.
B. It was very big.
C. It was the only game the boy wanted.
D. It was popular with everyone.
2. What is the phrase ‘put on a brave face’ closest in meaning to:
A. look sad
B. tell lies
C. pretend to be satisfied
D. be frustrated with parents
3. What does the word ‘tore’ mean?
4. What did the boy do after he did not see the present he wanted?
A. He cried.
B. He thanked his family.
C. He tried to look happy.
D. All of the above.
5. What is the main idea of this story?
A. A boy wanting to get a video game
B. A popular video game in the store
C. A boy receiving a game he didn’t want
D. A Christmas dinner with a large family
C. WRITING (10pts)
My best birthday ever
Read the sample paragraph
Last Saturday was my 10th birthday, and it was the best birthday ever. In the morning, I had a good surprise. When I woke up, I saw Mom, Dad and my brother standing around my bed. They were holding a birthday cake, and they sang “Happy Birthday”. They also gave me the funniest birthday card. In the afternoon, I had a birthday party with my friends at a restaurant for kids. I was really happy. It was indeed the best birthday ever.
Write a short paragraph from 6 to 8 sentences (about 70 words) about one of your best birthdays. Use the following points as a guide.
Total: 40 points
- When was your best birthday?
- What did your family do to make it special?
- How did you feel on your birthday?
Quý phụ huynh và con có thể tải link đề thi bản mềm tại đây
Để tránh trường hợp bỏ sót câu hay mắc các lỗi sai cơ bản như dùng sai thì, khoanh nhầm, sai chính tả, thiếu dấu câu,... các con nhớ kiểm tra bài thật cẩn thận nhé! Chỉ cần một thao tác nhỏ là kiểm tra, rà soát lại tất cả các câu trả lời trước khi nộp bài sẽ giúp bài thi của con được hoàn chỉnh tốt nhất.
Quý phụ huynh đừng quên đăng ký nhận đáp án (KEY) ngay tại đây để chấm điểm cho con nhé
Mọi thắc mắc phụ huynh vui lòng đăng ký tư vấn về khóa học miễn phí tại: http://bit.ly/Tuvan_ams hoặc gọi điện tới tổng đài 024 7305 0384 để được giải đáp.
Amslink English Center